Monday, April 21, 2008

When did this happen?!


How many times have you unsuspectingly walked into class on a normal Monday morning and heard this: "Hey [insert your name here]! Nice picture on the Terry Amazing Student website!" If your answer is anything more than zero times, then congrats. I -- after today in ILAD5100 -- can now chalk it up as once. Stellar.

Now, don't get me wrong, I was fairly excited. Excited in a sort of how-in-the-world-did-this-happen-and-why-didn't-I-know way. Maybe not too excited. I love the picture, mind you; it's one that I've used several times since it was taken last year for Orientation (that's right, the link doesn't work because I am now a washed-up OL07...such is life). But there are a few things that I took issue with.
  1. I HAD NO IDEA!!! I guess they can publish things about me whenever they want, but I would at least like to be given a heads-up of some sort.
  2. Nothing in the whole story was from me personally. All the information was taken off the now-defunct Orientation website, including the picture. Other spotlighted students at least got to put in their two cents.
  3. I don't deserve this...AT ALL. I can't compare with a Rhodes Scholar, Chicago law student, founder of a global charity or one of "the best marketing students in the country." I can talk to freshmen about college life. I got a paper published during my freshman year and subsequently dropped out of that club. Oh well.
  4. I HAD NO IDEA!!!
That's a short list. Here's an excerpt from the email I wrote the Amazing Student contact:
"I realize that the story of my publication in CITS's "Monitor" is probably the most unique informational soundbite that could be on such a website, but I would also like for the story to note my involvement in such things as being a Freshman Orientation Leader this past summer, my current position as a Student Government Association Senator representing Terry, a seatholder on the University Council, a member of ILA's LEAD Certificate Program, recent induction into Blue Key Honor Society and upcoming invited attendee of the Risk and Insurance Management Society's Annual Conference in San Diego beginning this Saturday." -- sent 1:38 PM on April 21st.
We'll see how it goes. I'll update you guys later if you want.

No comments: